14 December, 2011

 

Just a touch more dignitas, pretty please

I don't mind a modicum of informality in business communications. You don't need to write like a 19th century solicitor all the time to demonstrate your earnest professionalism. And I'm in no position to complain, as one who uses jarring shifts of linguistic register frequently as a rhetorical device on this blog.

But there are limits. And this message from the mail server at Yahoo, after I mistyped the domain name in an email address, is too chirpy by a damned sight more than half. Reads like wot it was wrote by coders at the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<spoof@oaypal.com>:

Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.


Have I won a week's holiday for two in Fuckit Phuket, or did my email not get through? Hard to tell, really.

FFS.

Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?