14 June, 2011

 

Tales from the Multiculture - Languages of the world

I encountered another obscure foreign language on the train yesterday. A curious lilting querulous tongue, possibly Germanic. I listened for a while, puzzled, until it gradually dawned on me. They were speaking Geordie. A Geordie so thick it would take half-an-hour to cut through with a decent industrial cutting torch. I could just about follow what they were saying.

I wonder how the East European barmaids coped when those bonny lads hit the boozer. You know, I really must get to work on my scale of charges for interpreting between the non-native retail staff of London and speakers of the more recherché dialects of British English. A whole new career beckons.

Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?