25 June, 2011

 

The semi-detached mind goes for a drink

In one of Woolwich's rougher, well even rougher than usual for Woolwich, vertical drinking establishments many years ago, a regular informed me that in the pub's yet rougher past, there had at one time been a gutter in front of the bar, allowing dedicated cider drinkers to, shall we say, reclaim bladder capacity without interrupting the steady rhythm of lifting mug to lips.

I suspected, then as now, that this might well have been an old toper's tale for the bedazzlement of the gullible. I manfully finished my pint of Gnatz P, bade my transient companion a cordial farewell, and strode forth into the night, thinking no more of it.

I was reminded of this incident the other day when, entering an unfamiliar but respectable looking hostelry, I was confronted by the notice

NO STOOLS AT THE BAR

For a brief moment I found myself seriously wondering what kind of clientele the establishment attracted that such an admonition might become necessary.

Comments:
'I suspected, then as now, that this might well have been an old toper's tale for the bedazzlement of the gullible'
Your suspicions are valid Edwin. Despite having a passing acquaintance with Woolwich drinking establishments going back over 35 years(they were always, as you rightly surmise, at the rough end of the spectrum)I never encountered this behavior. Mind you, I've little experience of the CIU affiliated clubs, which once proliferated in the area.Whether special facilities for the really hard drinkers existed therein, I cannot say.

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?