02 November, 2009

 

Sauce, goose and gander

As the bus made its way down Newgate Street this afternoon, I glimpsed a group of about 20 men milling about on the triangular traffic island which is overlooked by such elite institutions as the Stock Exchange, the BT Centre and one of those huge finance houses that are doing so much good in the world: Merrill Lynch I think. The men, all of an African persuasion, were holding up banners, some of which bore photographs.

Unusually for the 521 we zipped past at speed, but I had time to glimpse one large hand-written banner:

DR CONGO FOR CONGOLESE NOT FOR RWANDESE

(sic). Two or three bored coppers looked on.

I have no idea what they were protesting about, other presumably than the ongoing presence of Rwandan troublemakers in the North East of DR Congo. Nor why they chose that particular spot. I am not aware of any relevant institutions in the vicinity of St Paul's.

However, as the bus rumbled on past the Old Bailey, a mischievous thought crossed my mind. What if I were to organize a protest involving a banner which read:

BRITAIN FOR THE BRITISH NOT FOR EVERY
BLEEDING NATION UNDER THE SUN

Seems fair enough to me. Sauce for the goose...?

Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?